Entertaining outdoors is a welcome event especially if you live in a part of the country where the season of Winter can be long and hard. We personally do reside in such a place, so being outdoors after being cooped up for so long is a very nice respite. Before throwing your next outdoor party, graduation, family reunion or Summer wedding, take a few minutes and add a few small touches to insure that your guests will all be as comfortable as possible. You can start with the following tips:
- Try to keep any food that will be served kept in the shade, and on ice, (especially any foods that can go bad, like dishes made with mayonnaise).
- Arrange seating in the shade or under a canopy or umbrella.
- Place citronella candles or tiki torches around the seating area to help ward off insects. Try to avoid spraying chemicals as they are not only bad for the environment but they can excaberate problems for any guests who may have respiratory problems or allergies.
- Have sunscreen on hand, as this is something some of your guests may need, especially if they have sensitive skin, but may not have thought to have brought with them.
- Light all paths to insure easy travel.
- Advise your female guests to wear flat shoes, if possible, so that they do not have to contend with uneven ground or their heels getting stuck in the grass.
- Keep music at a good volume, so that your guests will not have to shout over it.
- Have water freely accessible in the event that anyone may become overheated.
- Lastly have a backup plan in case of inclement weather.
Most of all enjoy your event. What can be better than being outdoors in the nice weather with friends and family?